Pages

Sunday, September 13, 2009

The Persecuted Church


I live in the United States of America. I attend a church every Sunday with a congregation of over 2,000 believers. I am a part of a Bible study on Friday nights that meet, without fear, in someone's home. I own more than one Bible. I can do all of these things without fear of fines, charges, being killed, having my house destoryed, or my family taken from me.

I am blessed.


I read a blog (wearethatfamily.com) that has been blessed with being able to befriend a family from Uzbekistan. They are part of the persecuted church. They take risks, real life defining risks, simply by calling themselves "christian."


As I read Kristin's blog entries aboiut her and her dear friends it brought me to tears. These people who live for Jesus and have undying faith put me to shame. Oh, sure, I believe that Jesus can do all things. At least in theory. But could I move to America with 200 dollars in my pocket not knowing anyone and be able to say that Jesus would provide. Would I be able put my trust completly in God and be able to say that "God always shows up on time, He is never late"? I'm not so sure.


We take so much for granted being able to live in America. My friend just got back from a mission trip in Kenya and the poverty that he spoke about is just mind blowing. We are so rich. And yet, it is through that richness and that safety that we take God for granted. There's a quote by Martin Luther that I think really emphasizes this. It states, "If the devil were wise enough and would stand by in silence and let the gospel be preached, he would suffer less harm. For when there is no battle for the gospel it rusts and finds no cause and no occasion to show it's vigor and power. Therefore, nothing better can befall the gospel that the world should fight it with force and cunning."


It is imperative that we do not sit in our air conditioned homes of America and forget the brothers and sisters in Christ around the world that risk their lives for our Jesus. As a body it is our responsibility to pray for, support, encourage, and educate others that christians DIE simply because they are christians.


If you would like to follow the story of Igor and Katarina here is the link: http://www.wearethatfamily.com/2008/08/when-god-steps-in.html





No comments:

Post a Comment