Pages

Monday, September 7, 2009

the other is gold

I love my girlfriends. I may not have an over abundance of friends but I do have two very dear friends that I have known for a long time. One since third grade and the other since the beginning of highschool. We have a lot of shared history that I cherish.

We have three very distinct personalities, which, at times, can be quite interesting but for the most part we compliment the others very well. I have the tendancy to be a little bit more shy and reserved about things and my friends help crack open that shell. In turn, I help moderate their craziness.

I love knowing that no matter what I can rely on them. If I'm having a good day, I can call and share it with them. If I'm having a bad day I can share that too. If I need to cry I have two sets of shoulders and two sets of ears to hear me vent.

I am the "good" one of the bunch. Sometimes I feel as though I can never mess up because they will somehow think differently of me. Deep in my heart I know that if I ever made a poor decision or messed up that they would be there just the same. This, I think, is the true test of a friendship. To have someone who loves you in the good and bad, the ugly and the pretty, the joy and the grief. It is a rare thing to find, and I have found it in two people.

I am also the baby of the group so I am blessed with the oppurtunity to learn from my friends. Yes, I will lead my own life, and I will suceed and fail, make good decisons, and unwise choices, but that is a part of life. I know that my friends will always probably feel their weird sense of protectivness and responsability for me and I treasure that they go out of their way to watch out for me so that my life can be made that much easier. At the end of the day, no matter good or bad, I know I can come to them.

"Good friends must not always be together; It is the feeling of oneness when distant that proves a lasting friendship." -Susan P. Schultz

"Your friends are your release -- They're who you have the most fun with, and yet when the going gets tough, those people turn around and suddenly they're not just making you laugh, they're being this rock and giving you all their advice. Even though you're so much your own person, if you dissect yourself, I guarantee you your friends are in there. Their influence is incredible. Best friends are what you need most." -author unknown

Oh, the comfort, the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person; having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words, but to pour them all out, just as they are, chaff and grain together, knowing that a faithful hand will take and sift them, keep what is worth keeping, and then, with a breath of kindness, blow the rest away.-- George Elliot.

No comments:

Post a Comment