Pages

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Dear Grandpa

Dear Grandpa,

Dad's on furlough this week and I guess he decided it was time to re-do the living room. I just got done helping strip the wall paper in the dining room. As we sprayed it with fabric softener and water and then scrapped it off I couldn't help but think about how much of your hard work went into creating this space so many years ago, just for your granddaughter to destroy it. It seems sort of ironic, doesn't it?

I saw the pencil lines your hand drew on those wall, long before mom ever married dad, long before I was ever a thought. Perhaps even before mom was ever a thought. I can see you with a pencil in hand, another tucked behind your ear, a measuring stick, a level, carefully measuring, marking, with skill and precision. You always pay attention to detail. Meticulous and sure, your work always comes out top notch. High quality. Because your work reflects your character.

I'm thinking about how happy mom and dad are to be changing that wallpaper and those curtains...oh...those curtains. I can imagine Grandma giddy with excitement as she picked out the wallpaper- and curtains to match. My guess is that her excitement is what caused you to glue the wall paper to the wall and to hang those hideous curtains. I can just imagine her as a young house wife decorating your home. Transforming it into a space uniquely hers. I must say that she did a much better job when you guys moved. I miss her so much, Grandpa. I would hang those ugly curtains on every window in the house if it meant we could keep her for just a little while longer.

I miss you Grandpa. I wish I didn't have to wait until September to see you. In a couple of years here hopefully it will be my wedding that you'll be coming out for. :)

I love you so much. Tell Grandma Verla and Elsie hi for us. Sorry again for destroying all your hard work. Hopefully our work will make you proud when you come see us. :)

love you lots,
Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment