Pages

Friday, April 9, 2010

WILMM:sacrifice

Why I love my man reason #14

The other day I had to take my dog to get his tri annual rabies vaccination. And I did not want to. At all. So I asked my boyfriend if he would come with me.

He works as a life guard during the summer and has to re-test his swimming and treading skills each year. He had planned to go swim after he got out of class. Instead he drove an hour to my house to drive twenty minutes to get my dog vaccinated just so he could turn around and drive for a half of an hour the exact same way he had just come so that he could go swim.

I am constantly humbled at how much my boyfriend is willing to sacrifice to help me and support me and show me how much he loves me. He didn't have to sacrifice his time driving to come to the vet with me. But he did. He didn't have to sacrifice his gas and money for me. But he did. And he does. Often.

I wish I could say that I do the same. That when he asks me to do a small favor I jump at the chance to show my love for him. Just tonight he wanted to replace the wipers on his windshields and he asked me to go hold a flashlight. The way I acted you would have thought he had just asked me swim across the ocean to retrieve a rock. I don't know why I do those things. I don't know why I act so bothered when he asks me to help me. I'm ashamed.

"Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud 5 or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. 6 It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. 7 Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance." (emphasis my own)

1 Corinthians 13 talks about what love is, and oh, I have SO far to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment