Pages

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

WFMW: how to prevent your mouth from drying out in your sleep when you have a cold

Today's Work for Me Wednesday tip is a tip that I got from my best friend Shannon. I have a cold and the last time she had a cold she we talked about how much we hated when your mouth gets all dried out in your sleep.

So, here was her tip, and it's super simple.

Lather on chapstick like there's no tomorrow immediatly before you go to sleep. Yep. That's it.

I tried it last night and it worked. I think because you are breathing in the mouisture of your chapstick all night it helps prevent your mouth from drying out. There's my tip! Check out Kristen for more Works for Me Wednesday tips!

6 comments:

  1. I've got a few things that help, too. I use the Breathe Right strips on my nose after a steamy shower and Neti Pot nose cleansing. That really seems to help me open up for better nose breathing. I usually take Nyquil, too.

    Next, I use Biotene dry mouth gel. I have sensitive gums and my dentist recommended this and gave me lots of samples; you might ask for samples to have on hand for when you have a cold if you aren't generally sensitive. It makes such a difference!

    And finally, sleep directly under the mist of the humidifier.

    If I don't do all of these steps, my gums literally bleed from dry, overnight mouth breathing. It's not pretty. I'll add the Chapstick step next time to see if that helps, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! I'm sorry to hear about your gums bleeding, that's no fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i told you that? i dont remember telling you i do that. haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea, I'm going to try this today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to try this. I'm pregnant and have to mouth breathe when I sleep to get enough air. thanks!

    ReplyDelete