Pages

Sunday, August 30, 2009

look in your own bowl

Quite some time ago at my church we had a sermon and the pastor was talking about looking into our own bowls. He gave the example that when he has ice cream with his two kids he would scoop each of them a bowl and hand it to them. Instead of each child being happy with what he or she had they would look into the other child's bowl and complain that they didn't have as much.

The pastor used the analogy of how God gives each of us certain things in life. He doesn't ask us to comment on what the people around us have or complain about our lack of getting something. He gives us good and perfect gifts and we should be thanking Him for our bowl instead of constantly looking into other people's. The pastor talked about how everything we haven't isn't ours anyways. It's all God's, and He lets us borrow it.




Sometimes though, that's easier said than done. I am at a poing in my life where things are changing. I have two friends that are studying abroad right now. I love to travel. I have a friend with two babies. I long to be a mommy. That same friend is about to get engaged. I dream of being a wife. Most of my friends have either graduated or are close to graduating. I still haven't transfered to a four year.

Don't get me wrong, I really have nothing to complain about. I have a job I adore. A wonderful boyfriend, an amazing church family. I've had good teachers in school and the whole rest of my life ahead of me.

Sometimes though...it's so hard to look in my own bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment