Pages

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Where I come from

I wish I had been born in the south. I really do.

I love the way the word ya'll rolls off my tongue and just sounds so darn friendly.

I love that they eat foods saturated in butter. On purpose. Without caring.

I love that people know their neighbors. And their neighbor's neighbors. And the mail man. And the person at the gas station.

I love their laid back lifestyles.

I love it.

However, I was not born in the south. At least not in a southern state in the United States. I was born in southern California.

We do not say ya'll.

Southern Californians tend to be health conscious. Is it organic? Is there any trans fat? Vegan=no more happiness when it comes to eating.

I am ashamed to tell you that I do not know a single one of my neighbor's names. Isn't that sad?

Californians rush. Always. No matter what time of day or night there are always people on the freeways. Our stores do not close at ten at night, some are even open 24 hours. No one here sits on their porch and waves at people driving by.

Ya'll, I live in southern California. But in my heart, I don't belong here.

No comments:

Post a Comment