Pages

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

WFMW: gifts list

The Christmas season is fast approaching. Thanksgiving just passed by. As I prepared for Thanksgiving this year I joined with several of my friends on facebook and we made it a habit to post something that we were thankful for each day before Thanksgiving. It was amazing, I loved it. Everywhere I looked there was something to be thankful for.

Ann Voskamp, a woman from whom words of God pour out, wrote a post about a list that she keeps. She calls it The Thousand Gifts List where she continually writes down the blessings that God has given in her life. If you don't read her blog, you should. www.aholyexperience.com

In her post about The Thousand Gifts List, Ann Voskamp writes, "Too often I miss Him, oblivious, blind. I don't see all the good things that He is giving me, gracing me with, brushing my life with. True, He is everywhere, always. But maybe, before The Gift List, I thought of Him as further off, not so close. When I started to see all the things that I love bestowed upon me, I started to see Him as near, present, everywhere, showering me with good things. Seeing the things I love all around me gives me eyes to see that I am loved, that He loves me." (read the whole post here http://www.aholyexperience.com/2006/11/gift-list-thousand-things.html

At the end of her post she challenges others to join her in making their own lists. While I didn't know it, this is exactly what I was doing throughout the month of November. Assembling my gifts list.

A friend of mine had given me a very pretty journal a long time ago and I hadn't decided what to do with it. It has a purpose. It is my gifts list, with words written in my hand. It may not be as eloquent as Ann's, or as thought provoking, but, I am not Ann. I am me. And I am loved. My list is not very long...yet. However, each day as I look around I see Him in the green blades of grass, hear Him in a child's laughter, feel Him in a warm breeze, everwhere, surrounding me. Whispering little "I love yous" wherever I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment