Pages

Monday, October 12, 2009

WILMM: sweet talk

Why I love my man reason #4

The other day while I was at school I was in an elevator with some other people. Amongst the people were a couple (deduced by the fact that they were holding hands). I don't remember what the girl had said, but the guy turned to her, looked at her and said, "You're stupid."

When he said that I could feel myself sort of jump. I couldn't believe that he had said that. Whether or not the guy was joking I'm not sure, however, that's not the point. Even when words like that are said in jest, they can strike a chord and hurt the other person.

I was trying to figure out why it bothered me so much that he had said that, especially since I just couldn't get over it. Then it hit me. My boyfriend, in over the (nearly) two and a half years that I have dated him has never uttered anything demeaning. Ever.

This is not to say that when he is upset or frusterated with me he doesn't tell me. He does. But it is always in a very repectful manner. He may tell me that I'm being unreasonable (which, a lot of the times I probably am...but shhh! He doesn't need to know I admit to it!) or that what I'm doing or saying isn't logical (that's a favorite of his) but he has never demeaned my worth. He has never told me I'm stupid, dumb, selfish, or anything of the likes. I think that's why it took me by surprise, and bothered me so deeply, when I heard that couple in the elevator.

Makes me remember how good I really have it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment